Sunday, July 26, 2009

Storytime

Earlier I was walking from our bedroom to the kitchen and Vante was crouched down on the cardboard scratching pad by the fireplace. All I saw was her back and front right paw and I almost had a heart attack.

I don't know if you do this but I walk through the house and identify objects and make mental notes like "Awww, Amelia" or "Callie is so cute" or "I need to water that ivy."

Anyway, so walking from the bedroom to the kitchen I saw a cat on the scratching pad and the thought that passed through my mind was "Hey Cocky" and my heart literally skipped a beat. I had to turn and do a double take. At a glance from the back Vante looks JUST like Cocky, my first cat. Eerily so.

(I got Cocky when I was 4 or 5 years old and she lived until she was 18 or 19. She passed away about 5 years ago. She was named after the Univ. of South Carolina Mascot, Cocky.)

I have a feeling I'll be doing double-takes again. I've just never seen Vante from the back like that; she's always turned around when I was coming. I guess she's getting more comfortable, but that was a strange experience.

By the way, any suggestions about how to introduce Vante to vacuum cleaners?

No comments:

Post a Comment