Thursday, February 18, 2010

The VANTENATOR

Vante is definitely living up to her nickname these days.  The integration process has it's good hours and it's incredibly terrible minutes.  I have two stories to tell and I would like some suggestions/feedback because this is all about the cats.

Let me set this up:
Vante - 8.4 pounds, 14-years old, only has her back claws, torbi (tortishell and tabby mix)










Amelia - 14 pounds, 6-years old, fully clawed, black shorthair













Callie Mae - 11 pounds, 6-years old, only has her back claws, dilute calico












TERROR #1-I was cooking, all 3 girls were out and about and had been doing fine for over an hour.  All of a sudden a banshee scream comes out of our living room.  I look over from the stove and there is literally (I'm not exaggerating) a tumbling ball of Vante and Amelia.  I run over and by now they're in the foyer and Amelia has accidentally backed into a crinkly tunnel, which I had just moved.  Amelia is trying to get out of the tunnel while Vante is smacking the tunnel for all she is worth.  At this point I arrive on the scene and break it up.  I put Amelia in her room and Vante in her room.  (Callie Mae was already in her room under the bed, she's quite scared of Vante.)
FYI--all three cats had their claws vigorously trimmed at this point in time.

TERROR #2-After several hours (at least 3 or 4) I am computing and hear the banshee scream once again.  I jump over my husband and make it out in time to see Amelia & Vante hitting each other.  Amelia is backed into a corner (sofa and just-placed there box) and Vante is about 6 inches away.  They're staring at each other so I figured I would let them stare it out.  It took about 3 minutes and Vante slowly walks away.  Amelia goes to her room and I notice that she has urinated on the tile floor where she was cornered.  We clean the area, check on both cats and put them both in their rooms.


What does the urinating mean?

I've been doing some reading and learned that I need to add vertical space to give them more territory.  So, I've ordered a cat tree and if it's good I will order another one.  I'm researching cat shelves too.  (The gentleman who makes and sells the ones they use at Best Friends is injured, so I need to find another source or build them myself.)

Any suggestions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment